To receive the rank of YODAN
- You must be minimum 30 years of age.
- You must have been a Sandan at least 4 years of Active Training - see section "B" of the grading manual.
- You must attend a minimum of 2 Black Belt Clinics per calendar year and it must be recorded in your passbook.
- You must compete or participate in 2 SWKKF tournaments during your present rank in either event and it must be recorded in your passbook.
You must know the following katas:
- Pinan Shodan
- Pinan Nidan
- Pinan Sandan
- Pinan Yodan
- Pinan Godan
Techniques to be performed:
- Basic techniques
- Combination block-counter
- Taisabaki movement
- Side stepping
- Fluency in combination techniques
- Two step or free style kumite
- Also see Grading Forms for complete details on Grading Techniques
- The individual must be of strong moral character and demonstrate mental and emotional maturity and should be reflected in their behavior.
- The individual must be able and willing to convey their knowledge of Wado Kai karate through example. An exceptional teacher must be able to bring the best out of all of their students and help continue to grow a strong federation as Sensei Masaru Shintani has set the foundation for.